Thursday, May 21, 2009

First local health care visit

Got up at 6:00 this morning, didn't sleep much through the night though - possibly the thought of going to have my heart examined kept me awake :-)

Got on Bus 617 - this one is supposed to go into 三總 campus and stop at the door, or at least I had this impression that it would - it reached 三總 outer station after about 11 stops, but before it turned into its campus, it moved on and left the area, I hurriedly got off at the next stop(Neihu District Administration Building) and , it took me a while to figure out which bus(across the street) to take me back to the previous stop, by then it was 7:45(15 minutes later), and my registration number had ran up to 96(it would have been below 50 if made it the first time), but luckily I was able to line up for the morning session although my turn (#57) appeared to be close to the end of the session. the session won't start until 9:00 am so I went back home to have a light breakfast, in order not to miss my turn, I went back to the hospital around 9:30. I checked the number that is currently being serviced and decided to take a walk (in fact, I took at least half dozen such walk later on) to kill some time. To my surprise, the hospital was full of people/patients no matter which section of the hospital I strolled by, maybe this is normal in Taiwan but the easiness for people to see a doctor may not be a good thing because people would stop taking care of themselves seriously thinking doctors/hospitals are readily available whenever needed/or not. Seeing so many people on crutches, walking canes, walkers, and wheelchairs made me think about my own fate - I'd rather live a short but healthy life than long and miserable one.
The morning session doctor had 80 patients registered, he has to finish all within 3 hours (maybe 30 extension), you can see the amount of attention he can provide to each patient is very limited.
I went to a electrocardiogram before seeing the doctor, I told the doctor about my irregular heartbeat and rapid heartbeat encounters but he brushed it off and saying it is not abnormal and he couldn't do anything for me - no prescription, no additional tests,... and simply let me go, well it is for better and for worse - I can simply stop worrying about problems with my heart but still need to take care of it by myself. This will likely be my last stop here.

No comments: